The Office of the Student Ombudsman is an independent body of the East European University established in 2020. The goal of the office is to provide counseling and assistance to university students, to protect students’ interests, rights and freedoms, and to identify violations. Also, restoration of the violated right in accordance with the rules established by the legislation of Georgia and the internal normative acts of the University; The Ombudsman’s Office conducts informational and educational activities / events on students’ rights and freedoms (trainings, public lectures, etc.);
Fundamental principles of the Office of the Student Ombudsman
The main principles of the Student Ombudsman’s Office of the East European University are independence, confidentiality, neutrality, impartiality and collegiality. Works according to the practice standards of the International Ombudsman Association (IOA).
Independence: The Student Ombudsman reports to the university rector. Any influence restricted by any kind of law or interference in its activities by any person is prohibited. The Ombudsman is independent in his / her activities and is not a lawyer of a private person or organization. It protects justice, is guided by the Constitution of Georgia, international treaties and agreements of Georgia, universally recognized principles and norms of international law, legislative and normative acts of Georgia and relevant legal acts of the University.
Confidentiality: The Office of the Student Ombudsman is a confidential space that is accessible to all students. The Ombudsman protects the student and the confidentiality of the information provided by him / her, unless there is consent from the student, the ombudsman decides that there is a risk of danger, as required by law or university policy.
Neutrality and Impartiality:The Ombudsman is neutral and impartial towards each student and staff member; The Ombudsman does not take sides, it considers the rights and interests of all parties involved in resolving the issue fairly
Collegiality: In order to be collegial, the Ombudsman seeks to build trust, respect, and cooperation.
Why or under what circumstances should a student apply to the ombudsman's office?
The Office of the Student Ombudsman is a confidential, impartial, independent and informal student resource, service for you, for a student, if
- You need the opinion of a neutral and impartial person, discuss the problem with him/her and receive an advice on the next steps;
- You need an advice on student rights and responsibilities, academic and administrative issues to address the problem formally or informally;
- You wish to get information about student rights and freedoms;
- You need help solving a difficult problem that you cannot handle on your own;
- You think that you have been treated unfairly;
- You have a conflict that hinders your activities at the university;
- You need a mediator or advisor / consultant;
- You do not know whom to address to solve the problem;